Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tuesday in Maui December 2011

Knowing that we would need to be at the Old Lahaina Luau by 5:15 p.m. we decided to head out early and take Kylie to the Southwest part of Maui and visit Makena Beach.  We snorkeled there last year and really enjoyed it.  There's a public beach with facilities, nice parking and a great view of Molokini Crater.

The waters were pretty calm when we arrived but it took a while to convince Kylie to go out with us. After strapping on her snorkel vest we all got in the water, which was a bit chilly at first, but we got used to it pretty quick.  Once we got into deeper waters I had a bit of a panic attack. Happens to me the first time I snorkel every year. I breathe so fast through the snorkel I feel like I'm going to pass out. Eventually I adjust.  I think Kylie thought it was funny.  We saw some colorful fish including two big angel fish and then a very large green sea turtle swam right under us.  I tried following him to get a picture.


By 2:30 we headed back to the condo since it's about an hour's drive and we needed a few supplies from Safeway grocery.  Chip called for a taxi, which arrived a half hour early, so we could partake in some Mai Tai's.  Kylie brought her Kanani, American Girl doll dressed in her Luau outfit.  Kylie herself dressed in her Hawaiian dress we bought her last year.  We received Kukui nut leis instead of fresh flower leis and I was a little disappointed since I had been telling Kylie all about the beautiful flower lei she would be getting at the luau.  Might have to e-mail someone at the Old Lahaina Luau and ask about that.  Kylie loved seeing all the crafts presented at the Luau and watching them unearth the pig from the Imu.  When we sat at our traditional mat seating, she was the only child in the area and was loving it.  I tried to get her to sample as many items from the buffet as I could, but she really didn't want any pork.  I put a scoop of the Lomi Lomi Salmon on my plate and since it just looks like a chopped up tomato salad I got Kylie to try it and she really liked it and kept eating it.  I waited until dinner was over to tell her what it really was. The show was entirely different from last year, which made me happy and I think I enjoyed it more. Kylie was amazed at how the hula girls could shake their hips.  We practiced later that night at the condo.


No comments: